Saturday, September 18, 2010

Geoffrey Scott Krasley-Lawhorne, from Pennsylvania to Frostburg. By Hillary Martin, English 336.002

Geoffrey Scott Krasley-Lawhorne was born in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. He now lives in Fallston, Maryland. He is a senior and transferred to Frostburg State from North Idaho College. Geoffrey decided to transfer because he wanted to be a little closer to home. "I never really had a clear idea of what I wanted to be. I guess I was always interested in being a teacher," Geoffrey says. His interest led him to major in English with the concentration of creative writing. With English as his major, it is no surprise that Geoffrey enjoys reading. His top three books are The Sign of Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling, and The Most Powerful Idea in the World by William Rosen.

Geoffrey's interest do not only include English and writing. He is an avowed liberal progressive. Most of his news comes from The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, and Comedy Central. He listens to anything except country and violent rap. He really enjoys '80s Power Ballads. His favorite sport to watch is American football, and his favorite sport to play is tennis. writing is not his only talent.

Geoffrey spoke passionately as he told me his best memory growing up. "The time my mom and I got in my junky station wagon and went to Pennsylvania to pick up a golden retriever, Ruddy. This was the second retriever. The first my grandparents gave my mom when my dad was sick. I set in the back with the dog the whole two hour drive and he fell asleep on my lap." Geoffrey opened up as he said his dad died when he was three. His mother remarried when he was 11.

It was love at first sight for Geoffrey and Frostburg State University. He laughed as he talked about his first encounter with FSU. "When I was visiting for the first time to decide if I wanted to transfer, while on the tour it started to flurry, and I was like, this is the place!" I always enjoyed cold climates. It was the only place in Maryland where I knew it would be cold enough where I wouldn't get uncomfortable." Since Geoffrey just loves snow, it's no surprise that he does in fact have favorite snow activites. These include "drinking hot cocoa and looking outside and going, man, I bet it sucks to be outside right now!"

No comments: