Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Star Poet

Tilmon Parker
Engl 336

Jonelle Clingman: Future Star Poet.
ENGL 336.003
            Jonelle Clingman, an English major at Frostburg State University, just might be the next Maya Angelou.  Jonelle was born in Cheverly, Maryland and raised in Prince George’s county and the District of Columbia.  One of her true passions is the game of basketball; she was the star player at Gwynn Park High School and played for the Ladies’s team here at Frostburg last year.  Some say that she plays like her two favorite players Dwayne Wade and Ray Allen.  She gets the Dwade comparisons from the buzzer beater she hit to win the 3 on 3 game last week and just last Wednesday when she dunked on the girl to win the game of 33.  When the fans see Jonelle’s jumper they automatically say “Jesus Shuttlesworth?”  Her jumper is automatic so she probably will be one of the top recruits in the intramural basketball league this year.  Even though Jonelle is a star athlete she plans to go pro in her other hobby. 
          Jonelle majors in English at Frostburg State and plans to publish books as a career.  I knew she loved literature when in our meeting she said “ I read 37 books this summer.”  That’s a lot of reading.  I was also lucky enough to learn what her first book would be about.  “My first book will be about me and the rest will probably be poems.”  But that’s just Jonelle the star.
          When Jonelle is on chill time at home with her aunt, hanging with her select group of amazing friends or catching up with her nine brothers and sisters she enjoys way more than just English and basketball.  She likes music, watching TV, and really just chilling.  Her favorite TV show is SpongeBob SquarePants but she has also taken a glimpse at other shows like monster quest and Man vs. Wild.  Let’s just say those two didn’t really make her list of hobbies.   When I asked her about music she said “I love Trey Sonz.”  She also told me that most of the music she listens to is either Rap, Hip-Hop, and R&B, and in the process was able to explain to me the difference between Rap and Hip-Hop.(Thank you Jonelle.)
          Jonelle said she wants to travel, “Hawaii is where I really want to go.”  She also told me that she wants to go to Jamaica and that she’s seen most of the east coast from her basketball travels(http://www.mdblc.com).  I asked her what she wanted to do before she died and of course she said “meet Trey Songz.”  She also wants to meet Dwayne Wade, sky dive, write a book about her life, and visit her mom’s grave site.  Finally I asked Jonelle what she wanted people to know about fher. “I’m a very good writer, and I love to have fun and smile.”

No comments: